Thursday, August 23, 2012

Whole Foods Recipe: Chicken Tetrazzini

Hi Everyone!  It's rounding the end of August and there have been lots of weather changes  in Germany.  It has been almost a heat wave here, some days so hot that everyone was just staying inside or hitting the pool.   At night, it was very uncomfortable to sleep since Germany does not have a/c.  Okay, let me elaborate....you can buy a portable a/c but for most people in Germany you just lay either in your bare essentials or in your birthday suite and suck it up!  Several of my friends online were posting about how hot it was even at night and that they were moving mattresses to their 1st floors, basements (keller), taking cold showers right before bed or tossing and turning all night because it was simply just miserably hot!  Why doesn't Germany have a/c people would ask???Well that's a whole other topic in iteself.  So anyway, two days ago, the weather turned cool and breezy...so we pretty much went from 93 degree weather down to 68degrees!  All of my windows are open and it feels great!  With the weather change, I am definitely ready for one of my favorite seasons of the year....FALL! 


Besides me looking cross-eyed..behind me you can see the leaves are falling and  is this beginning  of FALL

My beautiful leaves that have already started to fall and its August 23,2012
 I love that the weather gets cooler, the trees actually turn red, green, yellow and yes even brown.  I love the cinnamon/pumpkin spice smells that yankee candle and other brands come out with, which I fully endulge my home with!  And of course, let's not forget the fall foods/drinks. Which leads me into my blog post today.  

A week ago I realized that my BMI was waaaaaay high and that was a wake up call.  I literally went to my refrigerator and cupboards and cleared all the junk, processed food.  After a home mishape with my un-named electric company(ps thanks for some how having my electricity shut off for most the day without me knowing) I had plenty of time to re-organize.  The next day I hit the grocery store...someone must have known I was starting a new eating lifestyle because so many of things I needed were on SALE! Yaayah!    I went onto Whole Foods recipes and have been checking out take shape for life recipes and applying them to our daily life cooking/eating.  Today from the whole foods recipes we made: CHICKEN TETRAZZINI.  It was DELICIOUS!  Some comments that followed the recipe implied it was dry, sticky, bland and probably not a repeat recipe but that didnt deter me.  Nope, I've never even had CHICKEN TETRAZZINI and really wanted to try it. 

Below is my home made CHICKEN TETRAZZINI...It's pretty delicious :D


Looks good right? Wishing you had the recipe??? Well no worries, I wouldnt show you a delicious dinner without leaving you with the recipe, the way they have it and to the side my substitutions**, simply because I didn't have those items.  

Ingrediants
cooking spray ** I used crisco olive oil
Salt/Pepper to taste
1/2 pound whole wheat or spelt angel hair pasta **linguine noodles
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 yellow onion finely chopped**I used a whole one 
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas** fresh green beans
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1c low sodium chicken broth
1/4c lowfat milk**Vanilla Silk Milk
1/8teaspoon ground nutmeg
2c chopped cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
6tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided**4TBSP parmesean 1TBSP fresh parmesean
4TBSP finely chopped chives,divided**3 green onions
**I added 1 sm container of plain greek yogurt you can also add 6oz of low fat sour cream instead if you like...i did this because people had complained if it being dry

Method
preheat oven 375F. Spray casserole dish with cooking spray &set to side

bring lg pot of salted h20 to boil. add pasta and cook until dente, about 5minutes/drain well

meanwhile, heat butter in lg skillet(**I used a wok) over md. heat. Add onions,mushrooms,salt/pepper and cook, stir occasionally, until soft. about 5min. stir in peas(**i used green beans) and cook
Now, I used add all veggies together and when it all looked cooked it was done and I transfered it to a large bowl.  Now put pasta and veggies together.  I put pasta in casserole dish first and then added veggies and mixed together so it didnt make a huge mess.

Heat oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. whisk flour until smooth but instead of 1TBSP of oil, i added 1 1/3. Then slowly whisk in broth/cook, stir consistently, until thickened.  stir in milk, nutmeg, salt/pepper and cook about a minute more.  add this mixture to the pasta/veggies, then add cooked/cut chicken, 4 tbsp of parmasean cheese and 2 tbsp of chives( this i added the green onion with the veggies to cook all together prior, so i skipped this step) I did add 1 small container or greek plain yogurt, mixed all well together & now bake for about 20-30min until thoroughly hot.  Your house will smell amazing and then EAT!  

Hope Y'all enjoy this wonderful dish & as always thank you for following my blog

Beverly



No comments:

Post a Comment