Monday, August 27, 2012

Faux Eggplant Parmesan

For almost a week now, I've had this purple, odd shaped vegetable looming back at me in the fridge.  I was bound and determine to at least make a whole hearted effort to eat this vegetable...but all I could remember is everyone I knew saying...EWW EGGPLANT.  Naturally, I've had it in my head that eggplant was gross.  Now, it was purchased and starring back at me and TODAY was the day it was going to be cooked.  I knew 2 things: 
1.  If you don't cook eggplant properly it would taste gross 
2.  I was positive that I was making eggplant spaghetti 


Now, I'm not sure if your aware but I am not a great cook.  I'm the master of boxed foods or learning after watching someone create a meal and vigorously writing the recipe as they go.  No shame in either, you have to learn somewhere I believe.  However, I am starting a new way of eating for my family and together we have decided t, add more whole, all natural, organic foods into our diet.  OOOH that word, "diet".  That word that almost always leads to failure for me.  I am great at starting a "diet" and just as good as having that cheat day never end.  Such a vicious cycle.  Anyway, back on point.  So, as I'm living in Germany and can't just pick up a phone and call mom. Though, she has never minded even when it was 5am her time, I figured it be best to be the considerate daughter and turn to the internet.  There of course were tons of recipes for eggplant spaghetti.  I then stopped.  My coach had sent me a ton of emails one in particular with others that had recipes for TSFL(Take Shape For Life) so I scrolled through my emails and Voila!  Sandy's Kitchen Adventures.  I clicked on the link and I swear I heard tadaaaaaa with bright light behind me...lol  There were so many recipes at my finger tips and all had been approved by the dietician support for tsfl.  I did look for the eggplant spaghetti but while searching found a recipe called Faux Eggplant Parmesan.  My first thought is, why is it called faux? So naturally I clicked on the link and ended up printing out the recipe.  I went to the commissary bought the few items I was short, diced tomatoes,garlic powder and broccoli soup then headed back to start dinner.  I had a bit of trouble finding the packet of broccoli soup, so I just bought a can of it and  when attempting to make the "crumbs" to coat the eggplant slices it didnt firm up like it was supposed to but I just coated it anyway and kept on going with the recipe.  After baking for about 50minutes, I took it out and honestly thought I had overcooked it.  My husband looked at it and says, "doners" lol.  We seriously thought it was going to taste disgusting ....First New Rule:  DONT JUDGE A FOOD BY IT'S APPEARANCE!!!!!!  It was absolutely, savory, cheesy and had me saying...O-M-G...I can't believe that I can eat this on our new healthy journey.  





I'd like to emphasis that this is not my recipe and firmly believe in giving credit, where credit is due... I got this from Sandy's Kitchen Adventures and am very greatful that their are recipes out there such as this one!

Now, that I'm sure I've made y'all hungry here is the recipe & the link to check out more fabulous recipes :o)

Faux Eggplant Parmesan
Created by Lana aka Winterberry Primitives

Ingredients:

For "Crumbs" to coat eggplant slices:

1 envelope MF Broccoli soup (1 Meal)
1/2 tsp baking powder - original recipe called for 1 tsp but that is 2 Condiments (1 Condiment)
Garlic powder (Optional)
3 tbs water
2 tbsp reduced fat parmesan cheese (2 Condiments)

For Eggplant Parmesan:

1 1/2 cups egg plant slices (stack in measure cup till they reach 1 1/2 cups) (3 Greens)
1/4 cup egg beaters (1/8 Lean)
1/4 cup Walden Farms Marinara Sauce (2 Condiments)
Garlic powder (Optional)
3.5 oz 2% reduced fat Mozzarella Cheese, divided (7/8 Lean)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix all ingredients for "crumbs" in a bowl. Spray a glass pie pan with cooking spray. Pour the mixture in, spread thin and microwave 2.5 min. Using a metal spatula, gently lift and flip. Microwave 1 more minute. Break up the soup mixture, and crush as fine as you can with a small rolling pin.  Add 2 tbsp reduced fat parmesan cheese. Set aside.

Dip eggplant slices in egg beaters and then into the "crumb" mixture. Spray a large non stick skillet with cooking spray, and brown the slices on one side then flip and brown other side.

In a shallow casserole pan, put marinara sauce in pan to coat the bottom. Sprinkle garlic powder (if desired) and half of mozzarella cheese over marinara sauce. Add your browned slices of eggplant and top with the remaining half of mozzarella. Sprinkle with reduced fat parmesan cheese for extra flavor but it would be more condiments. I also spooned the leftover "soup" crumbs over the top because I didn't want to waste my nutrients from that MF meal.

Bake at 450 for 30 minutes till browned and bubbly.

Mangia~ That's Italian!

1 Medifast Meal, 1 Complete Lean and Green Meal with 5 Condiments (No Healthy Fats required)

 http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com
As Always, Thank you for following my blog & Guten Appetite!!!!



Beverly 

No comments:

Post a Comment