Monday, February 18, 2013

London of Love





Celebrating 10 years of marriage in London , England 


London , England has probably been the city we have visited the most in our 8 years living overseas.  For one we have family that live outside of the city and for two each time we visit this wonderful city it feels like we are seeing it for the first time.  There is so much to do and certainly something for everyone.  

So for this trip we started with a...........6am flight into Birmingham , England 2 1/2 hours by train to London Paddington and 7 minute tube ride to Victoria....the end.  Ahh......just kidding! I literally ran dragging my luggage and my husband out of the station to gawk at the HUGE sign right outside of the station.  I couldn't believe it I was hours away from being inside the Apollo Victoria theater.  After about 10minutes Justin was finally able to pry me away so we could search for our hotel.  At check in we were upgraded rooms for "free" and told that every evening from 4-6pm they offered local free wine, cheese, meat, bread and jelly tasting for all guests.  Talk about a great start to an exciting day. 

 We dropped our bags off and headed out on foot to explore the famous Portobello Road.  It as neat to see but honestly not our kind of place.  Don't get me wrong Justin and I LOVE antiques and finding great deals but these were antique shops that know tourists come from all over and the prices show.  We are more of the rummage at a yard sale, thrift store or hole in the wall little shop to find practically priced treasurers.  Now, I have heard that on the weekends Portobello Road has a different type of atmosphere but for during the week our experience is definitely something to keep in mind.  My friend Miranda is Sicilian and while walking on Portobello Road we saw this super cute "authentic sicilian pizza shop" so we had to stop.  We shot a few pictures and grabbed a pizza to go. 

Inside the Sicilian Pizzeria on Portobello Road

The car inside the window is what grabbed our attention!  


 Throughout the day we  came upon several hole in the wall shops, an open air flea market where we found an old clock, a super neat mason stamp and a few other odds and ends.  We also stumbled upon a very posh store called Fortnum & Masons....did I mention my now favorite store in London! They have everything, teas, linens, groceries, dishes, home decor, chandeliers and oh ya today they were having an in house expo where they offered free tasting of EVERYTHING!!!!!!!  We got to the "kitchen area" and were sat down for free tea and given 3 different desserts of our choosing.  All prepared by master pastery chefs all in return for get this....OUR opinions of which desserts we liked the best.  This eventually will be a place where they will offer cooking classes and sell drinks and desserts but we can now say that we played a role in helping Fortnum & Masons choose desserts to sell throughout the year.  Pssst...the Victoria Sponge Cake is AWESOME!!!!   

My favorite Victoria Sponge Cake & Earl Grey tea...delicious!

Menu for the day


After a full sweet dessert & tea time we headed back to the hotel to get ready for our exhilarating evening which was to include my dream theater production and a romantic wine & cheese complimentary hotel snack in the restaurant area.  

A dream come true!!! 
Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by
The rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes
And leap...
(Lyrics from the song Defying gravity from the screen play WICKED)



WICKED is my all time favorite screen play and I was honoured to be in the 17th row from the very front of the stage on January 25,2013 with the love of my life for our 10 year anniversary.  These 10 lines above are beautifully written and I've come back to throughout the years.  For me when I've come to a cross roads I just simply have to think back to them...Close my eyes And leap.  If I fall, I've learned a hard lesson but at least I tried and have no regrets! Like this blog, I took a leap of faith that someone out there might enjoy to hear about our traveling adventures and possibly take away a tip or two for their on travels.  
As always, from the bottom of my heart I"d like to Thank You for following my blog and wish you a wonderfully blessed day!

Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment